Saturday 20 December 2008

BACK TO SCHOOL... WITH A GIFT by By Lucy Whyte (Southside Extra Paper 12/10/06)



By Lucy Whyte

SOUTHSIDE artist Frank To has taken the time to give something back to the school where his passion for painting was first ignited.

The 24- year- old from Newton Mearns has gifted St Ninian's High one of his most valuable paintings in an attempt to inspire future artists.

Frank told The Extra: "I want to encourage Southside youngsters who are thinking about becoming artists of any kind to follow their dream. Lots of people are too scared to go for it because they believe it will be too difficult to become a success. But if you have enough talent and determination, nothing should stop you."

Frank began selling his work while he was still at university in Huddersfield and during his masters at Dundee University.

With high- profile fans like actor Patrick Stewart- who owns three of Frank's paintings - his works usually sell for over £2000.

Frank told The Extra: "I took a year out of university and travelled around Europe where I did some self training. I visited all the major art galleries and copied the works of the masters, I then came back home to Glasgow and did some work experience with artists before going back to complete my degree."

His year out definitely paid off as Frank graduated with the highest degree mark in his class.

Frank thinks he's created his own unique style.

He added: "I approach painting in the same way a sculptor would approach a block of stone or wood. I try to bring the form out of the painting, rather than paint around a structure."

Frank is preparing for a five month tour of the UK's galleries, and there are even plans for his work to be displayed in New York.

Despite his rise to fame the former East Renfrewshire schoolboy is most excited about being honoured in his own community.

He added: "I'm in the running for an East Renfrewshire youth festival Oscar award- which is such an honour. I don't even know who nominated me so I got a very pleasant surprise when I received the letter."

For more information please visit the official website of Frank To Fine Artist

No comments:

Post a Comment