Saturday 21 March 2009

ARTIST FOR SALE by Leah Parker, Home Plus Scotland March- April 2009




We've grabbed contemporary figurative painter Frank To and made him justify what would make us bust our budget to bag him. Offers over, anyone?

Frank To was born in Glasgow in 1982. Having graduated from the University of Huddersfield with BA (Hons) Fine Art, he went on to gain a Masters of Fine Art from Duncan of Jordanstone Art College. Frank works from his studio in Glasgow and has exhibited alongside some of the greats of the Scottish and international art scene such as Peter Howson and Damien Hirst. Star Trek legend Patrick Stewart is a huge fan of To's work and classes the artist as a friend.

Inspiring views...
I have always been inspired by personal life experiences, both good and bad. I feel that by using these allows the art work to become more personal to me and the viewers. Also it allows the audience to relate to the work more. It's these experiences that make life worth living.

Compact and bijou... I'm currently working on a new body of work for my exhibition, "Boundaries", at the Leith Gallery in April. I've also just finished a series of paintings for the Albemarle Gallery in London. Most of the new paintings have an underlying visual theme of a human figure emerging out from the darkness, refusing to be suppressed. It's only been during the past year that there has been more of an appreciation and demand for my darker pieces. I suppose they reflect more on my personality.

Recently refurbished...
I moved into a bigger studio in Spring 2008, but I have only just finished refurbishing the room .I'm quite specific about the area where I create my work. I managed to get this beautiful old cherry wood study desk for the studio. Now I feel more comfortable and professional about my workspace.

Scope for development...
The recent turmoil in the financial market has led a rise in demand for alternative investments such as fine wine and whisky. I think that in the current climate, fine art offers more of an attractive alternative investment. Depending on the artist, the value of art rarely falls over the medium to long term. Despite this, I still highly advise people to only buy artworks that they enjoy.


Benefits from...
I work quite closely with P.S.Y.B.T (Prince's Scottish Youth Business Trust). As a past P.S.Y.B.T supported client, I received an enormous amount of moral and financial support from the charity. Byworking with them, I can help promote the support and advice they can offer to young aspiring Scottish artists.

Much potential... In my spare time I work on abstract paintings. These are very expressive and highly emotional pieces. What I'm trying to portray is the dark side of my personality. The only way I can engage fully is by using method acting; a form of acting where the actor tries to replicate real life emotional conditions of the character. I'm also doing some personal research on Carl Jung's theory of the Shadow Side in the human mind. I just find the whole topic fascinating.

Original features... I enjoyed art when I was younger, but never really aspired to be an artist. I had a difficult time at home and school when I was a teenager. By the time I was 17 the whole ordeal left me depressed and eventually I was admitted to psychotherapy. Although I was getting help, art became an outlet for my problems. Eventually thanks to art school and actor friend, Patrick Stewart, it is now my "voice" in the world.
Desirable location... Whenever I'm in London, I stay in a beautiful Victorian three storey house. The area has such a diverse culture, history and scenery. Whenever I wake up in that house, I feel as though I'm living in late 19th century London.

Immaculately presented... I'm getting more attention for my unusual painting technique. It's inspired by the Renaissance sculptor, Michelangelo. It was said that Michelangelo could visualize the human form within a block of marble. Similarly, I tease out figures from initial abstract paintings.


Particulars.....

Favourite building... The Rockefeller Center In New York. It has amazing sculptures, a good restaurant and a very classy bar.

Hero is... The film director, Christopher Nolan.
Favorite material... old leather that's used on notebooks
Relaxation is... reading literature by Dante in a café
Biggest interiors nightmare... Anything that promotes clutter. I grew up in that environment and hated it.
My passions are... making artwork that best visualizes my inner thoughts and exhibiting them to the public. To be able to bring forth your ideas/ emotions to reality is a very unique gift and should not be taken for granted.
I'm getting into... SLR photography My modern must-have is... laptops
The next big thing is... iRobot Roomba 560 Vacuum Cleaning Robot
My fashion style is.. modern conservative gentleman with a hint of a dark side.
I collect... Fine art prints such as etchings and monoprints
I can't live without... my Blackberry and studio

*For more information, please visit the official website of Frank To Fine Artist.

1 comment:

  1. People who wish to buy properties at Marble Falls ought to first consult with Marble Falls property management experts.

    ReplyDelete