Friday 16 April 2010

ARTIST FINALLY HONOURED IN OWN COUNTRY by Mark Smith, SCOTLAND ON SUNDAY October 4th 2009




HE IS the rising star of Scottish art with paintings that now sell for up to £10,000 each.

But Frank To has revealed for the first time how racism and bullying took him to the brink of suicide and rejection by the country's most prestigious art college forced him to leave his native country.

Grangemouth-born To was turned down for a place at Glasgow School of Art when he was a teenager.

This weekend, the 26-year-old artist was back in Glasgow to give his first public demonstration of the techniques that are making his reputation.

He said: "I love Scotland and am proud to be called a Scottish artist. But sometimes you have to leave Scotland before you can get a chance.

"I know that I had to leave Scotland or I would have really struggled.

"I've never talked about this before, but I was rejected by the Glasgow School of Art when I was younger.

"That was very upsetting at the time, and I doubted whether I was up to the job. I'm just a wee lad from Grangemouth, and sometimes you think you are out of your depth in the art world. When Glasgow knocked me back I was pretty gutted."

The Scots-Chinese artist left Scotland and took a place studying art in Huddersfield, in Yorkshire. His painting style involves teasing human forms out of blobs of paint on the canvas, using unusual tools such as toothbrushes.

To said his early life was also scarred by constant bullying at a new school in Glasgow, where he moved with his mother, Winnie, after his parents divorced.

"Life at school was terrible," he said. "I had an artistic outlook, and that didn't go down well at school. I was already badly shaken by my parents' divorce, then the move to Glasgow was also a big change.

"I was badly bullied. Sometimes it was racist because of my Chinese background. Most of the time it was just because I was different. It got so bad that I considered suicide. But painting helped me cope."

It was during his degree show at Huddersfield that To's work first came to prominence. The university's chancellor at the time was the actor Patrick Stewart, famous as Captain Jean-Luc Picard in the Star Trek films but also hailed as one of the country's finest stage actors. Stewart is now his biggest fan, championing his work around the globe.

To said: "Having somebody like Patrick behind me is a great thing. He not only backs me as an artist, he's also been mentoring me on how to present myself, how to be more confident."

Stewart said: "I think he's very gifted, and I'm delighted he's beginning to get an international audience. He's adventurous and bold, and not afraid of a big canvas."

Peter McGlone, owner of The Queen's Gallery in Dundee, described To as "one of the next big things."

He said: "Frank already has an international following, and his paintings are selling quickly in London and New York. Prices are soaring, and will continue to do so."

This year, To has become one of the youngest painters ever to have his work exhibited at the Albemarle Gallery in London, one of the art world's most prestigious venues. He is also being represented by the New York art dealer, Michel Witmer.

To has now returned to Scotland to live and is at last receiving praise for his work in his home country.

He said: "I don't feel bitter that I was rejected by Glasgow. I like to think I'm too mature to stick two fingers up to them and say, here I am, I've made it."

For more information, please visit the official website of Frank To Fine Artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment