Sunday 18 April 2010

WELCOME TO MY WORLD by Ruth Walker, SCOTLAND ON SUNDAY March 21st 2010


Interview by Ruth Walker

Photograph by Robert Perry

YOUNG Scottish figurative artist Frank To has exhibited alongside the likes of Damien Hirst and Peter Howson, and has a number of high-profile collectors, including Star Trek legend Patrick Stewart.

He will be taking part in Glasgow Art Fair Thursday to next Sunday, with a series of work based on the psychoanalysis of football culture. To find out more, see www.franktofineart.com.

Describe your perfect weekend

Playing poker with some friends - I like being manipulative and devious. Or maybe a saki night, but not the two together: when I'm playing poker I'm in to win.

What would you do if you ruled the world?

Install some kind of grant system for graduates of art and design courses because I don't think there's enough support for them out there to make it out on their own; they're just left to their own devices and I know how difficult it can be.

What one thing would improve your life?

If I took care of myself a bit better, because I have a habit of working myself into the ground. Sometimes I feel ill because of it, and my caffeine levels are sky-high. Recently I worked three days straight.

Who did you last receive a text from and what did it say?

I just received a text from my best friend Tony O'Reilly saying: "Arrogance has to be earned, what have you done to earn yours, Frank?" I think it was because in our last poker game I was quite arrogant.

What's your guiltiest pleasure?

Alcoholic ice-cream. The first time I tried it was in the States and it was absolutely delicious - but it was only when I started to feel a bit happy that I realised there was Scotch in it.

When did you last feel sorry for yourself?

When I crashed my car. It was very icy, and I drove into a bollard, then a red Rover crashed into me.

What do you wish you'd never done?

Accidentally destroyed a rival's work at art school. The caretakers were clearing up and everyone had their work for the degree show in there. I used to come in quite smart-looking anyway, and I looked like a lecturer that day - the caretaker asked if I was in charge so I jokingly said yes. Then they asked if I wanted all the rubbish cleared out of the corridor, so I said, "Yes, go ahead." I didn't realise my rival's paintings were drying out there. He hasn't found out so far...

Would your mother be proud of you?

Yes, but she worries that I work too hard. She thinks I make myself quite ill.

Who would you like to say sorry to?

My ex-girlfriend. She didn't always see the best side of me and it's only recently that I've realised she was trying to make me a better person.

Who does the cleaning in your house?

That would be me - I'm an absolute clean freak.

What's the most you've ever spent on a purchase, apart from a car or property?

Probably my first trip to New York on my own. I was going to make contacts back in 2007, but it was money well spent because that's when I met my New York art dealer, who now has my work hung beside a Picasso and a Warhol.

What is your earliest memory?

My mum drawing Mickey Mouse on a chalk board back in the 1980s. I must have been about two or three. I think it was that which probably made me want to become an artist.

What song is the theme tune to your life?

Seven Nation Army by the White Stripes.

Who would play you in the movie of your life?

Edward Norton, because he has that geeky look, but he can also portray the tough guy.

Should you vote? If yes, how did you vote?

I voted for the SNP because they abolished the parking fees in hospitals. I had to drive my brother to hospital when he was dying of cancer and there were times I was cracking up about it.

What worries you in the wee small hours?

My next deadline.

When were you last naked in front of another person?

That would be my ex.

Who was your favourite teacher and why?

Simon Burton - my lecturer in Yorkshire. He saw me as someone who had potential, and encouraged me to be what I am today, which is an emotional painter.

Who is your fantasy date?

It would be someone who can outwit me, but also someone who can understand my persona. I can be fun, quirky, a bit sarky, but when I'm working I can be more serious and a bit like Batman - I have a dark side, but I only show it through my work.

What is your most treasured possession?

A piece of artwork given to me by a lecturer at Duncan of Jordanstone, Harvey Duke. It was a large mono print, and he gave it to me on the basis that we had a shared friendship and similar views on art in general. I think he saw a younger side of himself in me.

What do you remember better, your first car or first kiss?

My first kiss - because she bit me. She actually drew blood!

What has been your greatest achievement?

Doing what I'm doing and not failing financially. That's the best thing I can hope for.

How old are you?

27

For more information, please visit the official website of Frank To Fine Artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment